Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Can We Talk?: The Teen Edition

I read a story today about how texting has become teenagers prime communication tool. Apparently 72% of U.S. teens text regularly while 54% text daily. I can't really venture a guess as to how this effects teen socialization skills.

I do know this however, I hate cellphone technology. I do own a cellphone. It's the absolute cheapest one on the market. It doesn't have a camera, video recorder, MP3 player, or cheese grader. It's a phone and pretty much only a phone( I have to admit I do use the tip calculator on occasion). Basically it's for use in case of an emergency.

Here are a couple of reason's I dislike them.

Remember the old days when in queue for something, a doctor's appointment or waiting at a bus stop, and you actually struck up a conversation with fellow human being? Nowadays more often then not you wait in silence while the person beside you buries their face in a tiny little screen. Does this not have an impact on people's sense of community? Does it not further people's feelings of isolation and disconnect with other human beings? I think it does.


Here's another scenario. You're driving the highways and byways and you spot a car darting erratically in front of you. "Someone is in to the sauce a little early today" you think. But as you cautiously draw closer to pass, you see it isn't a bottle in their hand but a cellphone. I live in Ontario Canada where it is illegal to be operating a hand-held device while driving, but I still see it all the time.

I've ranted long enough. I'm sure you get it, I don't like the blasted things. Here is the Illustration I did regarding teen texting. I composed it to mimic a circuitry board on an electronic device. The ends encircle each teen in a bubble like fashion to signify the isolating nature of these technologies. Some would argue they connect people but I disagree. But I digress.


Back to the ol' drawing board.
Cheers,
Paul
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment